Last week, David Ortiz told a Boston radio station that while he’d like to finish his career with the Red Sox but, that it would be “time to move on” if he didn’t receive another long-term deal. Ortiz later that it’s only a year extension. Well I completely agree with, Ortiz and these are the reasons why I think we should resign him.
1. He’s a hard worker and stays in shape, and even though he’s struggled in the past, he’s looking good now!
2.Ortiz hit .309/.395/.564 with 30 homers and 103 RBIs. He hit five home runs in the postseason, including two off the Rays’ David Price. The huge a comeback grand slam in Game 2 of the ALCS. And another homer in the the World Series off the Cardinals’ Michael Wacha in Game 2. In all, he hit .353/.500/.706 in 68 postseason plate appearances and .688/.760/1.188 in the World Series. Amazing, especially considering he came off an injury, and started the season late.
3. He’s cut down on his strike outs by 14% over the last 3 seasons, and is incredibly clutch (again game 2 of the ALCS)
4. Big Papi is a he is a run-producing machine. He also brings a power bat, and most importantley, does it for pennies on the dollar.
5. Ortiz was one of hree players in baseball last season to bat over .300, hit 30 or more home runs, and drive in 100 or more runs. The other two were AL MVP Miguel Cabrera of the Detroit Tigers and NL MVP canidate Paul Goldschmidt of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
6. He’s a seasoned veteran who has been on three World Series teams, and is an excellent role model and influence for the younger players on the 25 man roster.
7. In a time where the DH is sort of not a defined role, Ortiz defines it. Ortiz is the all-time hits leader for designated hitters and still adding to that number.
8. It would shut Dan Shaughnessy up…. For the time being….
9. He wants to retire in a Red Sox uniform.
10. The “This is our Fucking City Speech”